Thursday, July 4, 2013

Family Research in Anderson, Indiana

I went to Anderson, Indiana to do some research the other day.  I found it to be different than the other places I have gone.  

At the Department of Health in Anderson, they will not let you look at the books.  They make you fill out a request form with the information and they will look it up for you.  I was a little disappointed.  The other places I have been have allowed me access to the books.  

They allow 5 requests per visit.  They will only do look-ups from 9-11 in the mornings and from 2:30-3 in the afternoons.  They charge $5 for the 5 look-ups.  If you want certificates they are $10.00 each.

I was able to get some information.

I found a death record for my 2nd Great Grand Aunt Orlena Manis Crickmore.  It had her father, my 3rd Great Grandfather listed, and his place of birth as Tennessee, which corroborated other information that I had for him.  It also listed her husband, Wash F. Crickmore.  I had found a marriage record for the two of them, I had heard that they had split up, but he was still listed on her death record.  She died from Tuberculosis of the Lungs.

I also found a death record from my 3rd Great Grandfather, Joseph Manis's 3rd wife.  The book that would have had the death record for Joseph was missing.  

I also found records for the youngest children of Joseph Manis.  He was 55 and 58 when they were born.

Herman Haskins Manis and Ada Alice Manis Scott both lived into the 1960's.  So my 2nd great grand aunt and uncle were still alive when I was a young teenager.  I wish I had been able to track them before they died.  That would have been interesting.  

I went to the Anderson Public Library and found some obituaries on microfilm.  

I was able to find a story about the death of Joseph Manis.  I had seen the story in the past, but this was the first time I had actually seen it in the original newspaper.  I found obituaries on Herman Manis, Ada Manis, and Elmer Crickmore.  Elmer was the son of Orlena Crickmore, Joseph's daughter from his first marriage.

Here is the Joseph Manis story.







No comments:

Post a Comment