Saturday, March 16, 2013

Fearless Females - Sunday Dinner with Mom

In honor of National Women's History Month, I will be following the blogging prompts from The Accidental Genealogist blog. The prompts are interesting and I am truly enjoying this.  Here is day 16.

March 16 — If you could have lunch with any female family member (living or dead) or any famous female who would it be and why? Where would you go? What would you eat?

I don't even have to give this any thought.  If I could have lunch with any female family member it would be my mother.  I miss her terribly.  She meant so much to me.  She died when I was 43 years old.  I would also have to invite my brothers and sisters.  My mother loved us all and I would have to share her with them.



Here is a picture with Mom and six of her children.  
My oldest brother was already dead. 
 My second oldest brother was living out of state at the time.

We would have our family Sunday dinner.   We had Sunday's dinner at Mom's all the time during my growing up years.  Most of the grown up kids came home every Sunday.  I came home on Sunday's for many years after I got married and had children.  When Mom went to the nursing home we didn't get to have the usual Sunday dinners anymore, but my sister would pick Mom up and take her to her house.    Wherever Mom was, the family seemed to gather.

Since we are having Sunday dinner at Mom's, we are going to be having Fried Chicken with all the fixings.  And for dessert, it will be Blackberry Cobbler.  Some of us would have gone out and picked fresh blackberries somewhere so she could make the cobbler.  

When we sat down for dinner, Mom would say grace, and ask Jesus to watch over all over her children, and thank him for all her blessings and the food which we were eating.

This dinner conversation is different than our usual Sunday dinners.  This time we are going to ask Mom to tell us about herself.  We want to know all about how she and Dad met.   We will ask her to talk about her mother, and tell us everything she can remember.  We would ask her to tell us all the family stories that she remembers.  

Do you think it is possible to find out everything you want to know over one meal?Oh, I certainly hope so.  We have such a short time to spend with our mother.

I know I would have to tell Mom how special she is and how much I love her.  

I believe Mom is around me all the time, she has never really left me.  Whether it be just my memories, or if her spirit surrounds me, I feel her with me every day.   

No comments:

Post a Comment