Saturday, February 23, 2013

Blogging is great for my research!

When I started blogging I did it because I thought it would be a good way to make our family history more accessible to family members. I hoped it would attract cousins who might be able to help put together more family information. I believe both those things have worked. I know some family members have really enjoyed reading the blog. They have thanked me. I have also met a distant cousin who has researched for over 43 years and he has sent me some information and is getting together lots more.

There has been an added bonus. When I am writing the stories I start to the more about the person I'm writing about. They are no longer details on a piece of paper. I begin to think more about ways to follow up on my research and I am finding lots of new information.

Some of my ancestors I haven't done research on for quite a while. In that time I have come across new resources and with the constantly updated digital files there is more available. I did a post on my dad's family blog today. When I started writing the post I really felt like I didn't know much at all about my great uncle. When I was finished I felt like I knew him personally. I am anxious to get started on some of his siblings now!

1 comment:

  1. Betty, those are some of the benefits of family history blogging...and it sounds like you hit the jackpot! It's amazing what details seem to pop out at you, once you settle down and focus on one person's story! I know I'm always amazed at that. It's like taking a walk through the neighborhood, instead of speeding down the highway: admittedly, you don't get from Point A to Point B as quickly, but you sure can take in so much more of the detail!

    ReplyDelete