Sunday, February 10, 2013

My Cousin Contacted Me - He Has 40 + Years of Work to Share

My distant cousin sent me an email this morning.  He is 86 years old and has worked on putting the family tree together.  He has been researching for over 40 years.  He has visited most of the places where our ancestors lived.  He has an amazing array of information.

He sent me a summary of all of the family tree with his notes.  It is so very thorough, it took me quite a while to read through the information.  I will have to study it later.  He also offered to send me a CD with his whole file from Family Tree Maker, but the version he has is older and my version is newer.  He told me that it won't transfer to the newer version.  I am going to call and speak with him tomorrow.  

I just can't believe someone is willing to hand over his 40 odd years of work.  The time and money that he has incorporated in this research is astounding.  This is just so incredible!! 

8 comments:

  1. That's wonderful, Betty! I wish I could be as lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing yesterday. There are a lot of people out there with lots of research. It is just finding them. Keep blogging maybe someone will find you. I did get very lucky, and he seems like such a nice man. I can't wait to talk to him. I have met several of my relatives in their 80's now and they have all been so much fun to talk to.

      Betty

      Delete
  2. At 86, I'm sure he's glad to have found someone interested in his subject. He'll know that is work wasn't for naught. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Devon, and thanks for reading my blog. It's so great to know people will take time to read the what I have written. I hope he will know how much I appreciate him bestowing me with so much of himself. And I have been extremely lucky. I have only been blogging for a few weeks.

      Betty

      Delete
  3. I think Devon is right about your cousin's motivation. If I had to find someone to pass on all my work to I wouldn't have a clue - neither of my children are very bothered, my mum is a bit, but then of course she's likely to be gone before I am, so that doesn't help. That's part of the reason I put all my research on the web - it might be of use to someone - I just wish I could be sure they'd use it properly ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe at some point your children will get intereted. I have been lucky my daughter who is almost 40 is really interested, as is my 18 year old son. My other two boys think it is stupid to look for dead people, but they love history. I see a glimmer occasionally in the oldest sons eyes.

      Betty

      Delete
  4. Wonderful news Betty, it's every genealogists dream. What I like too is the fact that he's kept up with technology, like using FTM and email. I love the older FTM version. I think he could just do a GEDCOM and send it to you via CD, it isn't the entire file tho. Maybe he could do la lot of report printing from the FTM. Anyway, you'll be busy. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is exciting. I am willing to take whatever he is willing to share. It is his work, I don't want to be demanding or greedy. Anything he shares is a wonderful gift.

      Betty

      Delete