Thursday, February 7, 2013

Those Places Thursday - Perryville Battlefield

I am not sure if my great great grandfather was at the Battle of Perryville, but it is very likely.  He was in the 36th Indiana Regiment and at some point switched to the 30th Indiana.  The 36th fought at Perryville and occurred the first year that Isaac Manis fought so I believe he was probably there.

I decided that for Those Places Thursday on GeneaBloggers I would highlight a Civil War battlefield that one of my ancestors may have fought at.

Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site in Kentucky is the location of the largest battle in the Bluegrass state.

Confederate General Braxton Bragg invaded Kentucky in the fall of 1862.  His troops made it to the outskirts of Louisville before they were turned back.



The battlefield is well preserved and would be an excellent week-end adventure.

The battlefield is located 1825 Battlefield Road in Perryville, Kentucky. If you would like more information about this battle and the battlefield the Perryville Battlefied Site has a great amount of information.




No comments:

Post a Comment